Monday, March 29, 2010

Rossini


During my free time I watched Rossini's "The Thieving Magpie" arranged for a flute quartet. It was a very light hearted song. It almost reminded me as birds singing. The melodies are very soft and have a fast tempo. The piece constantly travels from high to low notes. There are two separate moods happening at once. A very relaxed, happy mood while a lesser heard sad or jealous mood occurs in the background. Almost as if there is one person laughing at another sad person. This song appears in Stanley Kubrick's "A Clockwork Orange" which is just that. A story about a man looking down and laughing on the weak and helpless. The song has a very strong membranophone piece. It has a very strong introduction and then calms down but starts to pick up after a few minutes. The melody would best be described as conjunct motions. Unfortunately, I could not get blogger to upload the video but I did add a link on the post. I would say although Gioachino Rossini is not as well known as Mozart or Beethoven he is able to hold his own as a composer.

No comments:

Post a Comment